Pages

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Seeking Illumination

I'm trapped in what I fondly refer to as 'Office Hell' every working day. In an 'effort' to save the planet and be 'green'. My company has replaced all light bulbs with energy efficient fluorescent bulbs.  Yeah me!

I've known for years that the fluorescent bulbs has sent me over the edge when it came to my ever present headaches.  There is a flickering that I have always seen.  It doesn't seem to bother most people, but as long as I could remember, I've been sensitive to the fluorescent flicker. With my job I'm on a computer 8-10 hours a day. Some days, I give up all pretenses of looking like an adult and wear my polarized sunglasses in the office all day.  Let me tell you - it really does help. Between the monitor and the light bulbs, I should be curled up in a dark corner by the end of the day.  Believe me, I often feel like I am.

I can't get away from the fluorescent bulbs they are everywhere. Even at home, I share a home with an aging parent who insisted on changing all the lights out to CLF's to save money. This fall I changed all the bulbs in my living spaces back to full spectrum incandescents. That has made a huge difference. By the end of the day, I've reduced the eye fatigue so I can function through out the day. The lights aren't changing a funny color on me  (when my eyes got really tired in fluorescent light everything would go yellowish).  Moisturizing saline drops help work through the eye fatigue.  

I've never been a sun worshiper, I inherited my father's fair English complexion. But, I'm very aware of how light affects me.  It's like the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears - I can't have too little or too much.  I have to have just enough light to thrive. 

So, I seek illumination on the subject of light.

1 comment:

Messy Musings said...

better stock up on the incandescent bulbs - our government passed a bill a couple years ago to phase out selling of those bulbs... and by 2012 you won't be able to buy them anymore.