Pages

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Faith & God

I've never been one to cry 'Why me God?!?!?' in the face adversity or difficulty.  I firmly do not believe that God sits down an decides to afflict me with an illness, a trial or a circumstance.  I believe that God is bound by the natural laws that bind the Universe and must therefore work within that frame work.  Illness comes out of the environment, genetics, or stressors in our lives.  Most things we view as trials are the result of choices we have made (good or poor).  Sometimes both happen due to circumstances completely out of our control because of the choices of other people.  How we live with the circumstances will be our legacy.

So I really have no patience for people who get mad at God because of their circumstances.  Please note, despite being at the beginning of my diagnosis of Lupus I've been struggling with the symptoms for quite awhile.  I've had other struggles as well.  I won't judge your struggles or your path, but I will tell you to suck it up and move forward if you start playing the poor pity me card.

You see, I firmly believe that despite the circumstance I find myself in God has not deserted me.  He has not turned his back on me and asked me to walk this path alone.  Instead, he had provided me with friends, family, doctors, nurses and other forms of support on this journey.

My job, if you will, is to reach out and open the door to this well spring of support.

God and His Son are always walking the path with us.  We have to be the ones to open our eyes to their presence.  If our eyes, minds and hearts are shut to all the opportunities of love, friendship and support available out their for us, that's on us.

I want to be able to be defined by my life, not by my illness.  So, when others cry, 'Why God? Why me?' I'm going to be living my life to the fullest extent.  Knowing that I am not alone.

No comments: