Pages

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Principles in Food

Starting last Sunday, I decided to make a shift in my eating pattern.

A shift I have been pondering, pondering very hard (kinda the way I think of exercise), for the last year.

I have shifted to a more vegetarian lifestyle. I've been doing this more and more over the last year. But I made the commitment yesterday.

Research shows that a more plant based diet helps with the inflammation issues in Lupus. Although I will need to avoid alfalfa (though I don't eat alfalfa on a regular basis) because there are properties in it that can trigger lupus flares.  Which would be one on of the reasons to restrict any product that might have ingested alfalfa. (so long anything that moo'd or bleet'd).  There is nothing that says I can't enjoy anything that swims. :)

My choice is guided by the following principles:

And again, verily I say unto you, all wholesome herbs God hath ordained for the constitution, nature, and use of man—
Every herb in the season thereof, and every fruit in the season thereof; all these to be used with prudence and thanksgiving.
Yea, flesh also of beasts and of the fowls of the air, I, the Lord, have ordained for the use of man with thanksgiving; nevertheless they are to be used sparingly;
And it is pleasing unto me that they should not be used, only in times of winter, or of cold, or famine.
All grain is ordained for the use of man and of beasts, to be the staff of life, not only for man but for the beasts of the field, and the fowls of heaven, and all wild animals that run or creep on the earth;
And these hath God made for the use of man only in times of famine and excess of hunger.
All grain is good for the food of man; as also the fruit of the vine; that which yieldeth fruit, whether in the ground or above the ground— (D&C 89)

Lupus was not something I chosen to have in my life. I'm still struggling with how to cope with it. I need to be smart and sensible about my choices.  I can work to make my body as healthy as possible.

I choose to give my body a fighting chance. That includes the food I eat, utilizing my faith, and not beating myself up to badly over the course of this life long experience.




No comments: