Pages

Friday, December 17, 2010

A Time of Cheer

I've always had a love/hate relationship with this holiday season.

I love the fundamental spirit of Christmas.  The kindness, the generosity, the spiritual fulfillment that comes from the welcoming of our Savior. If you aren't Christian, many cultures have adopted the traditions of acts of kindness and charity during this season.  Overall there is a general out pouring of positive energy that can truly bring you closer to God and make you a happier person.  I try to keep that feeling with me all year round.

What drives me insane is that I get overwhelmed by the traditions of others.  You see, I'm single in a large family with tons of fabulous nieces and nephews.  Due to circumstances, I share a house with an aging parent who doesn't acknowledge that I don't need the family chaos.  Don't get me wrong. I love my family. I love to see them over the holidays. But I don't need to spend every moment making memories with them. My personal traditions are much simpler.  Very minimalist if you will.

I treasure my quiet time.  I work full time.  I'm surrounded by people all day.  One of the greatest gifts I can receive is the gift of alone time.  To certain family members, I appear Scroogish in my needs.

As I navigate the turbulent waters of this cheerful season, I will stay true to my course.  I will honor my faith, my family and myself.

1 comment:

Messy Musings said...

to those who say you are a Scrooge - I say to them, bah humbug!

you can't always control the life circumstances thrown your way - but you can control how well you take care of yourself!

proper care of the body, mind and soul leaves you in much better shape to handle life, illness, stress, and even family.