Pages

Friday, November 12, 2010

The Elephant in the Room

  This month on the Lupus Foundation of America site, they hosted 15 Questions with Ms. Cindy Coney: Dealing with Stress - Balancing Family, Friends, Activities and Lupus.  I have to say that I found it encouraging to find that I wasn't the only one dealing with issues of stress, work/life balance and communication when it came to Lupus.


  I'm having problems communicating to certain family members about my struggles with this disease.  Because I'm still functioning, not collapsing in a puddle of writhing agony, bleeding from orifices, or projectile vomiting I must be exaggerating.  The most difficult part of this is that, this isn't the first time my family has dealt with a serious illness. My father passed of a serious fatal illness.  Even then, he didn't want to talk about the details.        
It was more the elephant in the room that no one talked about.  


  Here is my truth.  I can't live that way. In my case, Lupus isn't going to be fatal, it will be very inconvenient. It will impact me when I'm not careful.  Or when my body has a flare that I can't control.  I have to say no to family members and they just get a look on their face that says 'she's just being a drama queen.'


  No, there is no drama.  It's just me taking care of the elephant in the room. Because if it's not cared for, things will get ugly really fast.  

No comments: