Pages

Friday, September 17, 2010

Stress and Food

I'm going to admit that I'm a stress eater.  When I hurt, I want my comfort food.  Now that doesn't necessarily mean a lot of rich food, but I like my carbohydrate.  But now that I'm seeing a lupus connection between what I eat and how I feel, well I'm finding that my stress eating is going to have to change.

The funny thing is, I really don't go for all the sweet stuff. Don't get me wrong I like a really good piece of good chocolate.  But I don't need a lot of it.  In fact, I'm pretty limited in my sweets.

I tend to crave the savory.  That's what gets me in trouble.  The savory part of my palate is what I like to stimulate.  I'll take a really good piece of bread (not store bought white sandwich bread, the the yummy artisan bread) with a bit of butter and/or dipping oil over a sweet any day.  I could nosh that down in a heart beat.

But I find that I tend to get sluggish.  The brain fog gets bad.

Foods that keep me on task are the simple foods.  Lean proteins, fruits, vegetables, simple carbohydrates.  I can do complex carbohydrates in moderation.  I just have to really watch my intake with them.

I'm not going to give up my chocolate! That's all I'm saying.

No comments: